If you want to take your family to the beach this summer but are low on cash, consider these close to home options that are offer lots of family fun — from golf to kayaking — for a reasonable price. Save more by making the drive instead of flying and you’ll have a budget friendly getaway.
Don Carter State Park: Georgia’s newest state park is the perfect destination for a non-traditional beach vacation. Located on the north end of 38,000-acre Lake Lanier, the park boasts a range of activities for water lovers such as fishing, boating, lake swimming on the large sand beach and more. Two bedroom cabins on the hillside start at $200 per night. Or opt for RV or tent camping. Parking is $5. Visit the website for additional details at www.gastateparks.org/DonCarter.
Holiday Inn Resort at Jekyll Island: The newest beachfront resort on Jekyll Island is the result of a $22 million re-build. Families can enjoy a range of amenities such as beachfront activities, a fitness center featuring state of the art equipment, a Kid’s Club with an on-site activity director and fun room and more. Try the Holiday Inn Resort’s Turtle Package which includes room, resort charge, GA Sea Turtle Center tickets, bike rental, daily breakfast and a “turtle-safe” flashlight for guests to take on their own nighttime turtle walks. Rates for the package start at $189 per night.
Myrtle Beach Seaside Resorts family golf tournament: The resort has partnered with Mystical Golf to welcome two-person teams (parent & child or grandparent & child pairings for kids under 18) to the Grand Strand Aug. 20 – 23. The fun family event starts at $995 per team and includes:
- Three nights’ lodging (Aug. 20-23) at the oceanfront Grande Shores (two queen beds)
- Two tournament rounds on the acclaimed Wizard and Man-O-War courses (Aug. 21-22)
- Welcome reception at Grande Shores (Aug. 20)
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Two tickets to the Alabama Theater’s “One Show” (Aug. 21)
- Dinner for two at Logan’s Steakhouse (Aug. 22)
- Golf skills challenge and demonstrations on tournament days
- Gift bag for each participant
- Prizes awarded to event winners