Don’t let Gray Thursday, Black Friday and Cyber Monday steal all the shopping thunder.
Here’s a rundown on the other days that run through Black Friday Weekend and how you can participate:
Small Business Saturday, Nov. 29: Founded in 2010 by American Express, this event encourages shoppers to shop at local businesses. The effort has grown quite a bit over the years and now, you can find hundreds of local businesses participating in the effort. It helps that many of them are listed in an online directory that you can search by shop name, category, zip code or city. What do you get in return? American Express Card Members can register their cards to get up to $30 back. You spend $10 and get $10 back (up to three times).
Also look for other associated deals. At Atlantic Station, for example, when you spend $100 in combined same-day receipts at designated small businesses and you get a $10 gift card at concierge to select stores.
Goodshop Sunday, Nov. 30: On this day, thousands of merchants will offer deals and coupons and will donate a percentage of purchases to your favorite nonprofit or school via Goodshop.com. There are more than 110,000 causes are participating, including some local causes, and you get to choose which cause you want to support be it the ASPCA,UNICEF, or others. To date, the event has raised more than $11 million for causes. Check the Twitter hashtag, #GoodshopSunday for chatter. Here are a few of the deals:
- Amazon Coupon – Free shipping on purchases over $35 (+1.5% donation to your cause)
- Sephora Coupon – Choose 1 of 3 Holiday Deluxe Sample Bags with any $25 purchase with code (+2.5% donation to your cause)
- Best Buy Coupon – Free shipping on orders $35+ (+3% donation to your cause)
- Ralph Lauren Coupon – Save $25 off a $150 order (+6% donation to your cause)
- Teavana Coupon– Save $25 off purchases of $100 or more (+ 5% donation to your cause)
- Shutterfly Coupon– $20 off a $60 purchase (+2% donation to your cause)
GivingTuesday, Dec. 2: Since its creation in 2012, this has become a day dedicated to giving back worldwide. Charities, families, businesses, community centers, and students around the world participate in activities, events or simple acts that promote generosity. You can find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to participate. Partner organizations will also be matching donations, etc. Then you tell everyone you how you are giving. The website, GivingTuesday.org, ideas for unique ways to participate. And follow the campaign on social media for additional updates.